Sertoma Centre needs volunteers for their:
Summer Community Festival on
Saturday, August 10th, 2019
4343 W. 123rd Street, Alsip, IL 60803
from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
2 to 4 hour shifts available
Volunteers needed in a variety of areas such as childrens area, game tent, water & beverage booth, ticket both.
Current Students: Do you receive Financial Aid? Do you receive Work Study?
If you enjoy working with children and are passionate about education, we are looking for Student Employee - America Reads tutors.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online through College Central Network under "Work Study" jobs. Please see job description for eligibility and requirements. Students must have a clear background and fingerprint check.
Questions? You may also call us at 708-974-5737
The Job Resource Center at Moraine Valley Community College to CCN Users:
The MVCC Job Resource Center office reviews every employer that is listed through our College Central Network (CCN) site (collegecentral.com/morainevalley) to the best of its ability. Please note that we do not allow employers to have access to your information unless you allow them or are referred by the JRC (we will contact you prior to doing this). We and other colleges are finding that fraudulent employers are attempting to post fake job opportunities to sites such as our College Central Network (CCN) site. While we try to protect our job seekers from job scams, we cannot guarantee that all positions listed on these sites are legitimate. It is the responsibility of students and alumni to research the integrity of the organizations to which they are applying. We advise you to use caution and common sense to protect yourself against these types of scams when applying for any position with an organization or off-campus employer. Please see the scam posting image that was recently brought to our attention below and our tips on how you can protect yourself.
If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to stop into our office (S-202), call us at 708-974-5737, or e-mail email@example.com
Red Flags to Look For
• The employer asks for bank account numbers, PayPal account, or any personal financial information. You should never give out personal financial information, social security numbers, date of birth or driver’s license numbers when applying for a job. Be cautious.
• The employer asks for payments by wire, courier/mail, bank transfer, check or PayPal. They want access to your bank account – do not do this.
• There is an initial investment of your money, or a request for access to your bank account, or you receive a check before providing services. The employer requests assistance in helping to get their new location “up and running” as part of your job duties. Do not do this.
• The job description is vague and does not detail any of the responsibilities or duties.
• There is a request for a photo of yourself.
• The employer’s e-mail address contains @live, @gmail, @yahoo, @hotmail domains instead of a business e-mail address, or does not match the company website address.
• The job description contains several spelling and grammar errors.
• The position pays a high salary for minimal low-skilled or vague job duties.
• The position sounds too good to be true, or you get the job without applying or without an interview.
• The position says it will allow you to work from home. (Some of these types of jobs are legitimate, but should still raise a red flag to do more research into the company before applying. The JRC does not permit “home-based” postings on CCN)
• The job description states that you will be able to (through their company) “run your own business,” “work at your leisure,” “manage your own employees,” or anything similar. Be cautious. The JRC requires that all employers posting through our office are *not* commission based. A wage or salary must be provided.
How to Verify a Posting or Employer
• Confirm that the posting includes an address, company name, actual contact, etc. If it does not, be cautious. Scammers may try to reduce their visibility to avoid being caught.
• Visit the website listed in the posting. Always check to see if all of the information matches what is listed in the posting, including location and contact information. Check to see if the person listed on the posting is listed on the website. Is there an index that tells you what the site is about? Is there other information included besides just information about the job?
• Google all of the information provided – their name, address, LinkedIn/social media accounts, e-mail address, and so on.
• Try to visit the website domain listed in the e-mail, as it should match their web address
• Visit the Better Business Bureau website (www.bbb.org/council/consumer-education/).
What to Do if You are Scammed
• Stop any correspondence with the person and contact Job Resource Center immediately. You can contact us at 708-974-5737 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
• If you have been a victim, file a police report by contacting the police (MVPD can be reached at 708-974-5555).
• You can file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (www.ic3.gov) and with the Federal Trade Commission at ftc.gov/complaint or 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)
FRAUDULENT EMPLOYER EMAIL EXAMPLE BELOW. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS TYPE OF EMAIL:
For questions, please contact the Job Resource Center (S202) at 708-974-5737 or email@example.com
Upcoming Events & Programs
About Our Services
You must register with CCN to use our services. Once registered, you may:
- Search for jobs posted exclusively to Moraine Valley Community College; search the Jobs Central® national job board and the Intern Central® national internship board.
- Build a résumé with Résumé Builder, or upload a résumé file to Resume Central® so you can apply directly to jobs and/or allow it to be searched by employers (if you so authorize).
- Build an online portfolio in Career Portfolio Central® to support your résumé and demonstrate your best work to employers.
- Review your job search history. Report offers/hires.
- Receive emails about programs, services and job-related topics.
- Gain access to announcements, upcoming events, career advice documents, career advice videos, podcasts, and career articles from over 125 authors.
- Manage your on-campus interview schedules.
- Search our Mentoring Network to find profiles of people who work in your fields of interest and contact them online.
- Become the Next Great Hire! The Moraine Valley Community College Job Resource Center provides tools to help you prepare a professional resume, search for jobs, and explore internship and career opportunities to help you take it to the next level. We also provide opportunities such as Job Fairs, Mock Interview Days and panel events to help you explore fields and connect with employers.