Schedule an Appointment
Listed below are options for appointments with staff at the SSD - MA Career Services and elsewhere on campus. You may schedule an appointment online or contact our office to discuss other options.
Not sure what the future holds? Need support along the way? That’s exactly where we come in. Whether you’re just here for a year or an alumnus, it’s never too early (or too late) to utilize our services.
Our career advisors are experienced in working with graduate students in the social sciences and can assist you with career exploration and other general career-related advice including navigating job offers and negotiating compensation.
- Alumni Meeting
- Career Advising
- Career Exploration
- Professional Practices
- Salary Negotiation
Resumes, CVs, and cover letter reviews provide you an opportunity to work collaboratively with your career advisor to revise and receive feedback on the content of your career documents.
Statements of purpose or fellowship documents should be directed to UChicagoGRAD.
Please send your document to your career advisor as a word document in advance of your scheduled appointment. For cover letters, please include a link to the job description.
- Cover Letter
- Cover Letter Writing Assistance
- LinkedIn Profile Review
- Portfolio Review
- Resume / CV Review
Preparing for an interview might seem intimidating, but there are several steps you can take to prepare yourself for a successful interview. Our career advisors will assist you in analyzing job descriptions, performing company research, considering answers to common interview questions, selling yourself, preparing questions about the organization, and follow-up. Additionally, we can conduct mock interviews so you feel well prepared for the big day.
Students can visit Big Interview at https://uchicago.biginterview.com/login
Big Interview's proven, step-by-step system combines expert video lessons and an interactive interview practice tool to help you land your dream job.
Use our in-person appointments for more specific interview preparation or for a mock interview where we can practice your interviewing skills and provide immediate feedback during an in-person session.
- Alumni Meeting
- Informational Interviewing
- Interview Assistance
- Mock Interview
- Salary Negotiation
Finding the right job requires many steps and many decisions. You don’t just apply and wait for an offer from those who have a place for you, nor do you hope that you stumble onto an appealing opportunity. It is important to realize that getting a job will depend on the level of effort that you put forth and will require some exploration and reflection. Our career advisors will work closely with you to customize a search based on your interests and ensure a successful career campaign.
- Externship / Internship Help
- Job Search
Welcome to CSO, our online job posting, resume database, and career information system.
Once registered, you can search for jobs at any time from any device (computer, mobile phone, or tablet).
You will want to upload a resume and complete your profile so that you will be able to apply for opportunities and so employers can consider you when they search for candidates. You may also create a career portfolio to promote your qualifications.
Review the "Resume Authorizations" carefully and select the option that is appropriate for you. You may change your Authorization at any time. Make your portfolio available to employers when you have it ready to share.
Contact the Career Services office if you have questions.
Go to the website.
Upcoming Events & Programs
About Our Services
You must register with CCN to use our services. Once registered, you may:
- Search for jobs posted exclusively to University of Chicago Social Sciences MA Programs; search the Jobs Central® national job board and the Intern Central® national internship board.
- Build a résumé with Résumé Builder, or upload a résumé file to Resume Central® so you can apply directly to jobs and/or allow it to be searched by employers (if you so authorize).
- Build an online portfolio in Career Portfolio Central® to support your résumé and demonstrate your best work to employers.
- Review your job search history. Report offers/hires.
- Receive emails about programs, services and job-related topics.
- Gain access to announcements, upcoming events, career advice documents, career advice videos, podcasts, and career articles from over 125 authors.
- Manage your on-campus interview schedules.
- Search our Mentoring Network to find profiles of people who work in your fields of interest and contact them online.