1. Eligibility for counseling services is based on a student’s enrollment status, the needs of the student, and the resources available. All currently enrolled students are eligible to receive services through the Career Services department. Former students are eligible for some specific services.
Students ineligible to use the Career Center Services are those who:
• Failed to attend an interview scheduled through the Office of Career Services.
• Failed an employer pre-employment drug test ( will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
• Were terminated for cause from a job obtained through Career Services
• Reneged on a full-time job offer
• Are on academic suspension
*Service eligibility may be reinstated after meeting with the Career Services Coordinator to resolve the issue.
The Career Services Department is an educational service provided by Lawson State Community College. Our division works in conjunction with students, faculty, staff, employers, and college stakeholders to provide services. Our staff is committed to excellence and providing the best service possible. While no one can guarantee student success, student satisfaction within your Academic Major, successful transfer to a four year institution, or finding employment after graduation, we do guarantee dedicated, professional, and caring personnel with a passion for student success and a willingness to assist with student needs.
Many factors, including student attributes such as work ethic and motivation, play an important role in achieving positive outcomes. Accordingly, it is the student’s responsibility to act on all leads/referrals, to advocate for him/her self, and to seek assistance/services when needed. It is the student’s responsibility to read and follow the college’s policies and procedures as noted in the Student Catalog.
Students have certain obligations in the recruitment process, as listed below.
• Do your due diligence
Research the career and the company BEFORE you even apply
• Provide accurate information about your academic and work history.
This is not the time to practice your creativity. Be open and honest.
• Interview sincerely.
That means interviewing only with employers you are sincerely interested in
Employment with and for positions you are qualified to perform. “Practice”
Interviewing is misleading to employers—wasting both their time and money—
and prevents genuinely interested candidates from using those interview slots.
• Be on time for interviews
This includes cancelling in a timely manner if you will not be able to make the interview or have accepted other employment.
• Communicate appropriately and in a timely manner
Let the employer know as soon as possible if you are accepting the position
• Accept offers in good faith
When you accept an offer of employment, you should have the intention of honoring that commitment. Accepting an offer only as a precautionary measure is misleading
to the employer and may restrict opportunities for others who are genuinely
interested in that employer. Reneging on an acceptance is unethical and unprofessional, and reflects poorly on the reputation of Lawson State Community College.
• Resume Referral Process
Students and alumni resumes will not be referred by the Career & College Transfer Coordinator unless the following activities have been completed:
o Resume Approval
o Completed Mock Interview
o Professional Letter of Recommendation (Instructor/Previous Employer)
o Documented attendance at Career Service Workshop
• Professional Misconduct
Professional misconduct of any kind will result in the student/ alumni being ineligible for resume or portfolio referral. Prohibited behaviors include but are not limited to the following:
o No Call No Show for employment or interview
o Termination from an employer site
o Improper attire/appearance
o Behavior deemed unprofessional by Coordinator or Employer
Upcoming Events & Programs
About Our Services
- If you are a community resident who would like to search for jobs, you must first register. Please indicate that you are a Community Resident on your registration form. Once registered, you may also receive emails about programs, services and job-related topics.
- If you are an employer in the community who would like to recruit our students and/or alumni, please go to our Employer page.